Strawberry Lemonade Slushie ~ THM FP
I’ve been on a lemon kick lately. And with the hot weather we’ve been having, lemonade with fresh squeezed lemon juice has been my go-to beverage. But I decided to take it up a notch. So I played around in the kitchen in an effort to make the perfect strawberry lemonade slushie. In the past, my slushies always got too diluted once I added in the ice. The flavor just wasn’t there. But I think I’ve got the answer to that dilemma. Read on to find out how to keep the flavor while keeping the slushie consistency. And deliciousness isn’t enough, to top it all off, it’s a THM FP recipe.
The ingredients: a lemon, frozen strawberries, sweetener (pictured here in the lower spoon is Truvia), glucomannan powder (pictured in the upper spoon), water and ice.
If you’ve never heard of glucomannan, you’re not alone. I found out about it when I read Trim Healthy Mama (which gets two thumbs up from me, by the way). Glucomannan is a gluten free, wheat free, low carb, sugar free, pretty much tasteless (as far as I can tell) dietary fiber that comes from the root of the konjac plant. It works great as a thickener or emulsifier. It’s not cheap, but one bag will last you forever. Well, maybe not forever, but for a really, really long time.
Adding the glucomannan to the slushie is the trick. You don’t have to go overboard on the ice because the glucomannan gives an extra boost to the thickening. I’ve made this numerous times now, because every time I make one for myself, one of my kids wants one. My blender is getting quite a workout.
Scroll to the bottom for the recipe. I’d love to hear about your results!
- 8 oz. water
- 1 lemon
- 5 frozen strawberries
- 1/2 tsp. glucomannan powder
- Stevia or NuNaturals Nustevia Pure White Stevia Extract
- Pour water into blender.
- Squeeze one lemon into blender.
- Put your lid on the blender and mix it up.
- Add frozen strawberries and chop.
- While blender is running, slowly add glucomannan powder.
- Let this sit for about 1-2 minutes. It will thicken up just a bit.
- Next, add ice cubes one at a time until the slush is to a consistency that you like. I add about 10-12 ice cubes to mine.
- Pour and enjoy!
- The measurements are all flexible. Play around to find the mix that is perfect for your taste.
- This slushy is a "FP" recipe if you're eating the THM way.